- It Takes Two To Make A Thing Go Right: Unbalanced Romance in The General and I - The best romances are with people who are well-matched and help each other out. In General and I, somebody’s not pulling their weight, and everybody’s losing out. A good couple in an Asian drama is when individuals are well-matched. In General and I, Chu Bei Jie (Wallace Chung) and Bai Ping Ting (Angelababy) are both… Continue reading It Takes Two To Make A Thing Go Right: Unbalanced Romance in The General and I
- Chu Bei Jie. . . Is On My Mind! - I’m not going to lie. When I started General and I, I was not all that enthusiastic about the male lead character, Chu Bei Jie (Wallace Chung). Although I know he’s supposed to be our hero, he starts out doing some HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE things: his interaction with the Prince of Jing An’s family, the way he… Continue reading Chu Bei Jie. . . Is On My Mind!
- Solid As A Rock: True Love in The Princess Weiyoung - While this C-drama revolves around the titular princess (Tiffany Tang), it’s really the relationships that drive the narrative. The relationship between Weiyoung and Tuoba Jun (Luo Jin) is unbreakable, while other couples fail miserably. One of the things that makes the Weiyoung and Tuoba Jun’s relationship so strong is that they are individuals in their… Continue reading Solid As A Rock: True Love in The Princess Weiyoung
- Tuoba Jun. . . Is On My Mind! - Tuoba Jun (Luo Jin) is one of the male leads in the Chinese drama The Princess Weiyoung. He has quickly become one of my favorite characters of all time. Why? It’s not just because he’s attractive (in a C-drama, that’s a given). His character is very charming, unlike other members of the power-hungry and scheming royal family… Continue reading Tuoba Jun. . . Is On My Mind!
- The Supermen of Love Me If You Dare and When A Snail Falls in Love - C-dramas are bringing us male leads that are super smart and highly attractive. Despite their socializing issues, they still manage to provide the romance that draws many of us to Asian dramas. Both Bo Jiyan (Wallace Huo) in Love Me If You Dare and Ji Bai (Wang Kai) in When A Snail Falls In Love are very good… Continue reading The Supermen of Love Me If You Dare and When A Snail Falls in Love
- Relationships and Justice in Nirvana in Fire - In the midst of a paranoid emperor and power-hungry royals, Nirvana in Fire enriches a tale of revenge and redemption with a narrative of love and friendship.
- In Wuxia, Princess is Not a Bad Word: Nirvana in Fire - Many people equate princess culture with Disney, but the princesses in wuxia popular culture defy those expectations. The Chinese drama Nirvana in Fire counters mainstream princess culture by drawing from the tradition of strong women in wuxia.
- Half the Characters of Nirvana in Fire. . . Are On My Mind! - I decided to take it back to my Chinese drama roots and start watching Nirvana in Fire. I knew that Hu Ge would be in the lead role as Mei Changsu / Su Zhe / Lin Shu, but quickly became excited about the other characters. First, there is Lin Chen (Jin Dong), master martial artist/archivist of Langya… Continue reading Half the Characters of Nirvana in Fire. . . Are On My Mind!
- I Got Your Back!: Battle Couples - The only thing better than going into a battle for all that is good and right is having your significant other with you. Time for my favorite battle couples!
- This Goes Out To All My Asian Dramas That I Haven’t Finished - Sometimes when you start an Asian drama, it is love at first sight. You start marathoning it with no problem, eager to see what happens in the next episode. Then, there are other times when you start a drama, and you let those unwatched episodes languish in your queue. Here are some of mine!
Other Asian Popular Culture